Elements of SEO

a classic wordpress theme focused on typography and design

Those Darn Widgets

Posted on | August 27, 2008 | 103 Comments

A lot of people have been downloading my Elements of SEO theme lately and I am very excited about all of the kind remarks I’ve been getting.

It has also come to my attention that when people are using various widgets in the theme the sidebars tend to get a little messed up. There appears to be two main problems that I’ll try and describe, just in case you run across the same problem.

1. As soon as widgets are activated through the dashboard, IE6 and IE7 give a little extra spacing/padding to the heading of that particular section. The heading ends up pushed to the right about 15 pixels and doesn’t line up with the rest of the list below it. It’s nothing major, but it certainly doesn’t look right and I don’t blame anyone for wanting it fixed.
  2. As soon as widgets are activated both of the sidebars wrap underneath the main content area. Whenever anything wraps its usually because something is too big for the section. Once again the extra padding was making the lists too big for the sections.

It’s always hard to diagnose and fix problems when you can’t replicate the problem yourself. After a few hours of testing I was finally able to see the same problems that others were.

I uploaded Elements of SEO version 1.3 that fix both of these problems. Once again I am super excited that people care enough about my theme to contact me about the problem when they could easily download and use any of the thousand of other themes available.

Thank you everyone for all of your support and patience.

Comments

103 Responses to “Those Darn Widgets”

1. Tom Johnson
    August 27th, 2008 @ 10:23 pm

Just wondering … Is there anything especially search engine optimized about this theme that would merit its title, “Elements of SEO”? I don’t remember seeing a rationale given about its search-engine-optimization elements.

2. Guido
    August 29th, 2008 @ 2:08 am

I found a simple solution to the sidebar widget bullet problem: Since sidebar widgets are in <li>, it makes sense to have an <ul> around them (as you do now, but your theme default sidebars don’t have <li> around their items and thus don’t validate anymore).

So the easiest solution makes it not even necessary to have the <ul> that you now added have a class or id – since they’re identified by being inside #l_sidebar and #r_sidebar. So, drop these lines from the CSS…

#l_sidebar li {list-style: none; }
    #r_sidebar li {list-style: none; }

…and change these two lines…

#l_sidebar ul li {
    #r_sidebar ul li {

…to this:

#l_sidebar ul li ul li {
    #r_sidebar ul li ul li {

Voilà, everything works :)

3. Stefan Dyke
    September 8th, 2008 @ 6:26 pm

Hi,

Love the theme as I am using it on my blog, and thanks for fixing the sidebar wrapping issue. I have however found another small problem (which took me ages to figure out).

If I set Wordpress such that “Users must be registered and logged in to comment” then for some reason the sidebars will both wrap under the main content area. If I set it so that you don’t have to be logged in to comment it works fine.

Otherwise the theme works great for me and hopefully you can track the problem easily and provide a quick fix :-)

Cheers,

Stefan

4. Drew Stauffer
    September 8th, 2008 @ 8:54 pm

@Stefan
    I see what you mean about turning on/off comments.

Thats a new one for me so let me take a look at it.

5. Stefan Dyke
    September 9th, 2008 @ 3:16 pm

Hi Drew,

Another quick note…

I added a few images into a post with widths of 450px and I discovered that in IE6 this breaks the sidebars too.

From what I can tell it is the CSS in ‘#content p img’ that is causing the content column to get bumped out:

margin-right: 15px;

I commented it out and it didn’t seem to have a detrimental effect in any of the other browsers that I tested with (FF3, IE7, Opera 9.26) and it fixed the IE6 issue I was seeing.

Thought you might want to know in case others were having the problem and you could roll it into the next release – if it proves to be a suitable fix that is ;-)

Cheers,

Stefan

6. Sheps
    September 14th, 2008 @ 4:31 am

Hey Drew,
    love your theme, really easy to modify but I have one thing that I can’t do.
    I want to disply the single posts without the sidebars but i notice you didn’t use the single.php for the single posts to be displayed on. How can I do this?

7. Drew Stauffer
    September 15th, 2008 @ 11:01 am

@Sheps
    Since I didn’t use the single.php I’m not 100% sure if there’s an easy way to do it.

What I would do is download another theme that uses the single.php file and see how they did it.

I imagine its the same file as either the home.php or index.php but without the:
    < ?php include(TEMPLATEPATH."/name-of-sidebar.php");?>

The php include tells it to pull in the sidebars, so obviously if you didn’t want the sidebars then you wouldn’t include that code.

Hope that helps :)

8. James
    September 21st, 2008 @ 3:30 am

Hi, I found your blog on this new directory of WordPress Blogs at blackhatbootcamp.com/listofwordpressblogs. I dont know how your blog came up, must have been a typo, i duno. Anyways, I just clicked it and here I am. Your blog looks good. Have a nice day. James.

9. Sarah
    September 24th, 2008 @ 10:52 pm

Hi I have a problem when adding a text box for my chitika ad. When I implement it, everything in the right sidebar disappears the rss, the search box and then there is no ad. I don’t know enough about php to add it into the template itself. I love the theme and it was super easy to make every other change I wanted but the sidebars get me :S

10. Drew Stauffer
    September 25th, 2008 @ 7:49 am

@ Sarah
    When you add in the ad…where and how are you adding it? You said you don’t know enough about php to add it into the template, so i’m curious how you added it.

Do both sidebars disappear? or just the far right one?

Double check to make sure that the right columns don’t wrap down underneath all of your content when you add in your ad. Check the very bottom of the page.

If they do wrap then it is most likely a width problem on your ad. The ad is too wide for the sidebar area.

If you send me a link I can look into it more if you’d like.

11. Sarah
    September 26th, 2008 @ 4:22 am

I was trying to add the ad in a text box as it is html and this is what has worked on other blogs I own. When adding any widgets it makes the contents of the sidebars disappear but the lines stay there, it isn’t an issue with the width of the ads as I am hosting 120 wide ads. I have solved the issue by moving the search box and rss feed button code to the left sidebar and deleting the rest as I don’t need it. I am now using the right sidebar for widgets that I wish to add like ads and tag clouds etc. Now there isn’t really an issue, I just did some re-arranging to suit my tastes.

Cheers for the simple theme, it suited exactly what I was after in terms of looks with a banner replacement and re-colourizing. It is so hard to find something that is simple and doesn’t take the attention away from the words in the blog.

12. George R.
    September 27th, 2008 @ 4:54 pm

Drew, I just completely used your new theme after upgrading and it is still causing issues with wrapping when you have more than one “read more” on any given blog page.

Please take a look at this and see what you can do.

13. Tim
    September 30th, 2008 @ 10:45 am

Hi Drew. Thanks for providing a great theme for Wordpress!

Am I right that it is supposed to be possible to leave comments on ‘pages’ now? I’m very new to blogging and Wordpress.

Thanks, Tim

14. Drew Stauffer
    October 2nd, 2008 @ 8:09 am

@ Tim

Right now the theme is not configured to show comments on pages but it is an easy fix.

Check out this post:

Read comment # 17.

That should get you what you need.

15. Drew Stauffer
    October 2nd, 2008 @ 8:58 am

@ George R.

The read more link should just be a regular

tag…like the rest of the content on a post.

I noticed that you didn’t have any “read more” tags right now.

You might want to add one in and then take a look at the source to see if their is anything fishy.

16. Tim
    October 2nd, 2008 @ 4:25 pm

Drew, that works really well, thanks very much indeed. :)

17. Lis
    October 4th, 2008 @ 11:23 am

I love the simplicity of your theme and hope to use it on my new site. I’ve a little problem though and wondering if you can help. I’m trying to add a horizontal menu in the header file (to display in the white space between the banner and the content). As a result the alignment of the content is now out of whack. The whole content area has shifted right and the right sidebar has been pushed down. How can I fix this?

By the way, is there any possibility of including a single.php in future updates?

18. kluelz
    October 4th, 2008 @ 3:07 pm

in the file “comments.php” is missing one at this place:

… Leave a Reply

You must be <a href=”../stauffer//wp-login.php?redirect_to=”>logged in to post a comment.

set after the and the sidebars will stay at their correct place.

(sorry for my bad english!)

19. kluelz
    October 4th, 2008 @ 3:10 pm

and shit, the code will not edit correct. one end-div ist missing after the end-p there. the login-ref is although wrong and …staufer must delete.

20. George
    October 6th, 2008 @ 8:46 pm

Hi Drew,

I am in the process of customizing this template for my blog, Can you tell me is it possible to change the header image?

Thanks

George

21. Ian Garrett
    October 10th, 2008 @ 11:43 pm

@george

I just replaced the banner.jpg images in the theme’s image folder. I’ve used the theme now twice, with the banners’ containing the title to save the room at the top. Nothing by compliments thus far, though one is having the commenting issue.

22. Jas
    October 16th, 2008 @ 4:49 am

Superb theme I really like it. Any ideas why when I click on ‘No Comments’ it takes me to the page but there is nothing allowing comments to be input?

Thanks

23. Ian Garrett
    October 16th, 2008 @ 5:29 am

Drew

I am getting the same error as George R. where read hor is break the page and pushing the sidebars below the posts. Did you have a fix?

24. Jas
    October 16th, 2008 @ 10:45 am

Sorry i had messed with the index.php page so reverted to the original file and it now works – sorry!

25. Garrick
    October 17th, 2008 @ 3:53 am

First off, awesome theme. I realy like the design.

I found an error on the blog post page. My blog is set to only allow logged in users to comment. In doing so, I’ve discovered that the comments.php is breaking the page layout because the closing div tag for div#commentblock is missing.

To fix, move the closing tag from line 106 and move it below the last endif in the code. That should fix the breakage.

26. Anshuman Rawat
    November 2nd, 2008 @ 12:13 am

Hi Drew:

Great theme! Congratulations. However, I have a few issues:

1. How to have the “read more” feature on ALL posts on the home page. In other words, I want to restrict the posts to, say, 250 words and then have the “read more” (text and) link (to the url that carries the entire post) at the end of those 250 words. How to do it?

2. If I put “recent posts” on right sidebar, the vertical spacing (between two lines of the list) becomes more than what the left sidebar has. How to fix it?

3. Are there and Firefox and IE7 compatibility issues in the theme? Because an image on my left sidebar is visible in FF but not in IE? How to fix it?

Thanks in advance and again congratulating you for a lovely, lovely theme.

Best,
    Anshuman

27. Drew Stauffer
    November 3rd, 2008 @ 4:19 pm

@Garrick
    A lot of people have asked me about that problem and I haven’t had the time to look into it.

Did adding in the closing div tag solve the problem?

28. Drew Stauffer
    November 3rd, 2008 @ 4:27 pm

@Anshuman Rawat

1. Not sure about setting the post to automatically add the read more once you get to 250 words. Sounds more like a plugin you might have to search for.

2. The read more has a special style to it so if you want to add it to the right sidebar and the spacing is giving you problems then you’ll have to write an additional CSS style for the read more that goes on the right side to give you the specific spacing you want.

3. There shouldn’t be any problems between IE7 and Firefox. If your not seeing something I would double check to make sure all of your tags are closed properly. If you still can’t get it then send me a link.

Hope that helps :)

29. Esme
    November 9th, 2008 @ 12:35 am

Hi Drew, I just got all the kinks worked out to get Wordpress up in the first place (I’m a newbie). I like your theme for my business purposes with its clean look. But one thing I do not know when I look at themes that scroll way way way down (at least on the demo) – is whether they can be “normal” pages that each has its own subject (like business services, contact info, about us, etc. etc. Is the length of each page simply a matter of how much I choose to put into each page? Do you understand what I mean? I guess I want mine to look less like a blog and more like a small business site. Thanks very much…

30. anatol
    November 9th, 2008 @ 9:58 am

Hi Drew,

thx alot for that awesome theme! One question: Is there a way to implement an archive-page like you did with “about” and “contact”?

Cheers,
    anatol

31. Esme
    November 9th, 2008 @ 6:29 pm

Hi again, Drew, never mind on my post earlier today. I waded through more of the Wordpress information and learned about “pages,” and also this html – – that breaks pages. I hope I am correct in supposing that many templates allow for the user to add several pages? Maybe someone could comment on that if they cruise by these comments. But anyway, I am slowly progressing through loads of information, and maybe someday my questions will be more sophisticated!
    Thanks again.

32. Drew Stauffer
    November 10th, 2008 @ 8:47 am

@Esme

Pages are exactly what your looking to implement. You’ll notice as soon as you log into your dashboard that you can either choose to “write a new post” or “write a new page”. You want to add pages.

Pages will show up where the about, and contact are in my theme…top right.

@anatol

Pages are what your looking for too. Look for “write a new page” in the orange bar as soon as you log into your dashboard.

33. George
    November 13th, 2008 @ 8:49 pm

Hi Drew,

Thanks for an excellent theme, I am in the process of configuring it, I want to hide the image on top from my ‘About’ and ‘Contact’ page how to do this?

Thanks

34. George
    November 16th, 2008 @ 8:18 pm

Hi Drew,
    I resolved the above problem, now I am facing a different problem. In single page view if I click category list in bottom of the post the post stucture getting distorted.Any clue to solve this?

35. Chris
    November 27th, 2008 @ 2:29 am

I seem to be having this issue, still, even with 1.4, but only on pages with comments.

See here: http://ravingatheist.com/2007/08/are-you-lying/#comments

36. John Connell
    December 9th, 2008 @ 4:24 am

Drew,

Elements of SEO is a quite superb theme – I have worked my way through a few since I started blogging and this has to be the cleanest and best looking so far.

As ever, I tend to tinker with a theme, and I’ve made just a few minor changes here and there. I’d like to make two further small changes:

1. Is it possible, as with other themes, to add an ‘Edit’ hyperlink somewhere above or below a post (as you already have for comments) to save me having to work my way back through the Admin pages to re-edit a post?

2. I’d like to delete the ‘gravatar’ from the side of the comments – I have no need for people to register in any way, and in the blogging community i belong to they would be unlikely to do so anyway.

Cheers,

John

37. Drew Stauffer
    December 10th, 2008 @ 4:41 pm

@ John Connell

Hey John, thanks for diggin my theme :)

Not sure about your #1 question. You could probably find something that will do that in the Wordpress Codex. Personally, I wouldn’t know without some research.

Deleting the gravatar should be pretty easy. Look for this code in the comments.php:

< ?php if(function_exists('get_avatar')) { echo get_avatar($comment, '50'); } ?>

Take that out and it should remove the gravatar.

Let me know if you still have problems.

38. John Connell
    December 15th, 2008 @ 6:56 am

Thanks, Drew,

I’ll search the codex for what I need.

And the gravatar thing worked fine.

Thank you.

John

39. John Connell
    December 16th, 2008 @ 9:02 am

Drew,

i worked out how to add the button I wanted to the theme – however it only works in the normal view (ie multiple posts on the page). When I bring up a single post, the button disappears.

If I explain what i did, I’d welcome your thoughts on how I might also get the same effect for a single post.

In home.php, you have the line:

Posted on |

I added into the middle of this:

So, i end up with:

Posted on | |

This adds an EDIT function to the top of the post when I’m logged in.

So, when I bring up a single post, the function isn’t there, and I can’t at the moment work out what I need to do to get it there.

You can see what I mean if you go to my blog:

Cheers,

John

40. John Connell
    December 16th, 2008 @ 9:03 am

Ah, sorry – the comment cleared out the php lines.

How do I include some php code in a comment to show you what I mean?

John

41. John Connell
    December 16th, 2008 @ 9:19 am

Drew,

You can ignore my previous comments – I managed to work it out.

I added edit_post_link(’Edit’, ”, ‘ | ‘) to the relevant sections (between the date and # of comments) on both the home.php and the index.php sections.

I now have an EDIT button above every post.

Thanks,

John

42. Drew Stauffer
    December 16th, 2008 @ 10:48 am

@ John Connell

Good stuff man…way to work through it :)

43. Fat
    January 1st, 2009 @ 11:12 pm

great tips! I like it.

44. Matt Krager
    January 12th, 2009 @ 3:21 am

Great theme :)
    Thanks for sharing it.

Matt

45. Yeo
    January 24th, 2009 @ 5:08 pm

Very nice theme, fast-loading, clean, and easy to hack! Thanx.

I modified it to a 2-column version for a new blog I’m working on, you can see it here:

46. Anton
    January 25th, 2009 @ 11:57 am

I am trying to use this theme for my blog, but I have a problem that worries me:

I have created several pages on the site and one of them is the parent to the other. But when I click the parent page link (on top of the page, where the pages’ link are) I don’t get any link to the daughter page anywhere on the page, while I need it badly.

Can you help me with any advice on that problem?

47. EroMan
    February 2nd, 2009 @ 2:24 pm

Great job, saved me a lot of time, TA

48. Drew Stauffer
    February 3rd, 2009 @ 12:19 pm

@ Anton

Currently the theme doesn’t support drop down lists off of the main nav.

If you really want them then I would look at a theme that has them and then incorporate that code in the Elements theme.

You could also install a widget that would list out specific pages and then incorporate that list in the sidebar area as an alternative.

Hope that helps.

49. Helder
    February 3rd, 2009 @ 11:29 pm

I’m using that theme! Thanks!

Mas traduzi para português…

50. Infinity
    February 4th, 2009 @ 8:36 am

thanks, saved me googling for hours trying to make it work.

51. Tony Johnston
    February 10th, 2009 @ 11:58 am

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the great theme. I’m getting super feedback on how it looks and I like working with it a lot even though I’m really only just in late stage blog start-up mode.

One blog visitor today reported, however, the following:

“Your blog looks even slicker now ;)

“Please note that visitors still can’t leave comments; the system requires you to register/login to leave comments but then leads to 404 Not Found error.)”

The following is the message that commenters get it seems when the discussion parameter “Users must be registered and logged in to comment” is set to ‘on’ via the WP Dashboard Settings subpanel.

“Not Found

“The requested URL /stauffer/http://blog.tonyjohnston.biz/wp-login.php was not found on this server.”

(Now, I must say that to me it seems strange your last name pops up here?!?)

To eliminate this strange 404 error message occurring, I’m wondering if the following section in Elements of SEO’s Comments.php subroutine is in need of a fix up:

You know the code better than I do, so the problem source could be somewhere else of course.

Any suggestion about how to avoid this issue other than turning off the registration requirement for people commenting?

Thanks,

TJ

52. Mark
    February 11th, 2009 @ 9:33 am

Drew —

Let me add my thanks to this list. The EoS theme is really fantastic asthetically and well built!

I’m fairly well versed in HTML and CSS but a relative PHP/Wordpress newbie. As you can see i took your beautiful theme and Frankensteined it to approximate our old site (and am still tweaking the CSS):

new: http://floridalaborparty.org/alachua
    old: http://floridalaborparty.org/alachualoc

The problem I’m running into is that on the “PAGES”, text is displaying oddly — but not consistently oddly.

I have placed text on the following pages:

- About
    - Program
    - Calendar
    - History & Links

You’ll see that the Lipsum text i placed on CALENDAR and HISTORY & LINKS displays fine (and on the latter I’ve been able to apply both BOLD and to the text).

But on ABOUT and PROGRAM the text goes wacko — appearing to be trying to display in columns — as soon as I apply tags (either with the WSYWIG editor or in the HTML tab). The PROGRAM text was copied/pasted from a website to a text editor and stripped of all it’s formatting. The ABOUT text I typed directly in WP.

I’m sure i’m missing something.

Is this a WordPress issue? A float: issue? A display: block issue? An I’m-an-Idiot issue?

Text was displaying this way before I upgraded to WP 2.7.1; I believe i’m using v1.2 of SEO,…. i haven’t gone to 1.3 since I’ll have to redo the changes to the PHP/CSS i’ve made.

53. Drew Stauffer
    February 11th, 2009 @ 8:13 pm

@ Tony Johnston

Yeah that is a mistake. Where ever it says stauffer, it should be the name of the theme.

for instance for this blog…since im using the elements-of-seo theme…

elements-of-seo/ and then the rest of the code

that should work.

54. Drew Stauffer
    February 11th, 2009 @ 8:23 pm

@ Mark

It looks like you have a float:left; on your content p tag. that would make the smaller list try to go into two rows.

the other pages look fine because their full paragraphs of text.

remove the float and you should be all good.

55. Drew Stauffer
    February 11th, 2009 @ 8:36 pm

@ Tony Johnston

on second thought you might have some more trouble with making users login to comment. besides my last comment to you.

some others have posted suggestions here on how to fix the side columns wrapping below the content that you can try. look @ tom johnsons response on:

56. Mark
    February 12th, 2009 @ 10:44 am

@ Drew –

so it was both a float and an I’m-an-Idiot issue…. thanks!

57. Tony Johnston
    February 14th, 2009 @ 4:05 pm

@ Drew -

Thanks for taking a look at the comment issue on my blog.tonyjohnston.biz site on Wednesday. Having turned off the registration requirement earlier, I sorry you didn’t get to experience the problem directly. Nonetheless I followed-up on your suggestions, the prime one being:
    +++++

for instance for this blog…since im using the elements-of-seo theme…

elements-of-seo/ and then the rest of the code
    ++++++++

Just to let you know, that didn’t actually work for me. But what did was removing the the whole directory reference (i.e taking out “stauffer/” or “elements-of-seo/” as the case maybe). Then, with the registration requirement set to ‘on’, a user wanting to leave a comment will first get told “You must be ‘logged in’ to post a comment” and then if they click the ‘logged in’ hyperlink, they get taken to the WP Login page, just as they should be.

Something you may want to consider, however, is putting in an intermediary step in the above mentioned process. This I suggest would ask if they had a WP user account, because if they don’t they should get redirected to http://www.wordpress.com to register, not to the invoked wp-login.php page as things go now.

As to my using the registration requirement, I’ve decided against it as it likely defeats the whole intent by discouraging people from commenting due to hassle factor.

Hope you find this comment helpful. Thanks again for taking time to deal with my question and for putting together Elements of SOE in the first place and making it available to the bloggers like me.

Tony

58. Tony Johnston
    February 15th, 2009 @ 3:44 pm

@ Drew

Another Matter: re RSS Feed Subtitles

Can you tell me how I can configure things so that, without changing how my EofSOE blog’s main page presents, my blog’s RSS feed will give not only my blog’s title but also a subtitle/description?

The outcome I’m looking for is to get the FireFox plug in called Brief to display an informative description about my blog. I noticed that some blog feeds present the main page’s tag line or subtitle that comes as HTML in the page while on others I can’t find any HTML in the page but descriptor info still shows on their feed, seemingly by magic.

I have added a more expansive descriptor on my FeedBurner account but it doesn’t show up, and nothing I did as changes to my WP Settings caused my feeds description to change.

Stumped -

Tony

59. Mary Frances Carter
    February 15th, 2009 @ 5:15 pm

Hey, thanks. and I like the website, it’s nice.

60. Orphia
    February 18th, 2009 @ 1:10 pm

Hi and good job!

Quick question : how do you change the space between 2 posts?

I can’t figure out which parameter it is on the CSS.

61. Drew Stauffer
    February 18th, 2009 @ 2:55 pm

@ Tony Johnston

I’m not 100% sure of what your wanting to happen. Can you try and explain it again.

You might want to look into an RSS plugin that might give you a bit more flexibility.

62. Drew Stauffer
    February 18th, 2009 @ 2:57 pm

@ Orphia

Look for (#content h1) in the css.

You’ll want to adjust the first number in both the margin and padding.

That will adjust the space between each post.

63. Orphia
    February 18th, 2009 @ 4:47 pm

Thanks a lot!

64. Market Leverage
    February 19th, 2009 @ 10:53 pm

I love the theme and it’s working great for me.

65. Seo grup
    February 21st, 2009 @ 6:14 am

Very nice! I am glad I found this article. I just printed 2 copies to hang in my office and to show my co-workers. Now its time to get to work! Thanks again!

66. Erin Cauble
    February 21st, 2009 @ 9:18 pm

Please help! I am new to wordpress but want to stick with your theme. visit my site for the following
    1. under the contact page the message block is spaced down (and I made the css changes in the string of comments)

2. My Adbrite widget is working on the individual post vies, but the home page left sidebar remains blank.
    Thanks!!

67. Henry Hutton
    March 1st, 2009 @ 4:01 pm

I just found this post, but had previously posted a question on another thread about the inability to re-assign a widget to a sidebar (say meta or comments) after you’ve removed it. For example, I’ve removed my meta widget from my left sidebar and want to add it to my right sidebar, but there’s no “add” link for it in my widget’s admin anymore. I’m on 2.71, and if I’m doing something wrong on my end please let me know.

A thousand thanks for any help, and great theme!

Henry

68. Belosic - Reno Graphic Design
    March 1st, 2009 @ 11:31 pm

Love the theme…thanks for bringing back typography to the web!!!

69. Brandon Sheley
    March 2nd, 2009 @ 2:36 pm

Thanks for the post, I was messing around with one of your themes the other day and noticed a spacing issue.
    I can now edit those and get them looking like they should.

70. Drew Stauffer
    March 4th, 2009 @ 10:20 pm

@Henry Hutton

Where it lists your sidebar 1 in the widget section in the admin…click on the carrot and then you can select sidebar 2. click show.

with sidebar 2 showing you can then add what ever widgets you need to.

71. ulle
    March 5th, 2009 @ 12:12 pm

i would like to use this theme on a website for a friend, but it is not validating. can’t find the errors myself. this is what it says when validating this site at w3c.org, and i get the same errors for mine.

Validation Output: 2 Errors
    1. Error Line 370, Column 4: document type does not allow element “h2″ here; assuming missing “li” start-tag.
    About
    2. Error Line 393, Column 8: end tag for “li” omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to “self-close” an element, that is, ending it with “/>” instead of “>”.
    3. Info Line 370, Column 1: start tag was here.
    About

72. ulle
    March 5th, 2009 @ 12:14 pm

ok, i could not use tags in the comment field, but try, http://validator.w3.org/

73. Henry Hutton
    March 23rd, 2009 @ 1:45 pm

Hey Drew, I may not have explained myself properly. I’m currently using SEO version 1.4, but the widgets in the widgets admin section don’t have the “Add” link showing for me to add them to the columns. They did at one time when I originally set up the blog, but when my client requested that I remove some widgets or move them around the “add” links for those widgets are now gone. For example, the Meta widget is not showing in either sidebar but it’s also no longer available for me to add it to any sidebar. I’ve posted a screenshot of the admin at http://www.williameverett.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/adminmetalinksetc.jpg
    if that will help, and you can see that the meta is not showing on the main site. Thanks so much!

Henry

74. Drew Stauffer
    April 1st, 2009 @ 9:22 pm

@Henry

looking at your site, it looks like you’ve figured it out? i saw sections in your sidebars now that didn’t have the “add” in your image. let me know

75. conseils seo
    April 4th, 2009 @ 2:41 am

Great theme, easily customizable!

thanks for sharing

76. Steve Adams
    April 9th, 2009 @ 6:06 pm

Hello,
    Thanks for the great theme. It was great to find one that is clean and will not distract from the content.

Disclaimer: I believe I have read through all 75 comments and did not see what I was looking for.

Problem: Whenever I add a widget to either side bar, what ever was in the side to begin with, goes away.

Question: How do I add a widget without this happening?

Thx,
    Steve

77. Drew Stauffer
    April 28th, 2009 @ 12:02 pm

@ Steve

Sadly, you are correct. When you add one widget it removes everything else that was in that column.

What you’ll need to do is take a mental note of what each section is and then add them all in through the widget section.

That way all of them will be widgets.

Hope that helps. Sorry it took me a little while to get back to you.

78. David Schwartz
    April 28th, 2009 @ 2:39 pm

Drew,

Love the theme. We are new to blog world.

We want to put a color behind the blog content. Where in CSS is it?

Thanks, David

79. Sabarish
    May 21st, 2009 @ 5:00 am

First of all, thank you so much for this wonderful and neat/simple theme.

@Steve,

I had the same problem. If I add any widgets to the right sidebar, the about, subscribe feed link etceteras go invisible. The work around for this is to edit the file r_sidebar.php (Appearence > Editor) and move all that you need to show along with the widgets out side the php if-endif code where it checks whether the function “dynamic_sidebar” exists.

This will allow you to have the original content or your own html snippet (like you can find the dreamhost link in my blog’s right sidebar’s bottom @ blog.kryptoz.com). I am not sure this is safe enough to do, but so far everything looks fine. So maybe you can give it a try !!!

80. samia
    June 1st, 2009 @ 9:25 am

hey hi!
    i’m having trouble with the Calendar Widget – dunno why but it appears pretty oddly on screen – everything is like compressed and don’t know how to fix it. Would you know how to costumize this widget?

xoxo
    samia

81. samia
    June 1st, 2009 @ 9:26 am

by the way, the theme is great! and you can see i’m working on it on my studio website:blog.rexdesign.com.br

thanks!!

82. Cherilynn Stone
    June 11th, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

Exactly what I have been looking for! Thanks for sharing this.

83. Article
    June 29th, 2009 @ 10:42 am

I can now edit those and get them looking like they should.

84. Danny Dagan
    August 5th, 2009 @ 1:01 pm

Hi Drew,

Thanks for a great theme. Nice and clean. I’ve discovered two deeply hidden bugs, and thought I’d share (the second with a solution):

1. If you have a post with comments on it, and then close comments, there seems to be a missing Div or two, and the two sidebars get pushed off piste. This is the kind of problem you find if you set your comments to close after 30 days, and suddenly you come back to a broken site.

2. There’s a problem that makes the theme completely unusable in IE6, because of the quirky way IE6 treats scrolling (basically users can’t scroll down the copy of a single post). This is easily fixed by adding “overflow: auto;” to the #content CSS and then adding a valign=”top” DIV to the right-sidebar to ensure it doesn’t go walkies.

85. Drew Stauffer
    August 6th, 2009 @ 7:35 am

@Danny,

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven’t really been able to update the theme since it launched almost 3 years ago, but I will definitely keep these in mind.

86. Utah Web Designer
    September 10th, 2009 @ 2:24 pm

thanks for the solutions, guys.

87. Cat Johnson
    September 15th, 2009 @ 1:31 pm

Hi Drew and all
    I’m having a search bar issue I need to get resolved ASAP.

The search works fine from the front page. However, from category pages it only searched that category and from posts, only that post. So, the search only works from the front page and shows a 404 error or a “no results” response.

Please help as my online hunt for a fix has been futile. Cheers.

88. tempe
    September 15th, 2009 @ 11:45 pm

i use this time now..thanks.its very helpful.

89. Watch Winders
    October 26th, 2009 @ 6:33 am

Has anyone worked with Wordpress Direct?

90. Politic Max
    January 11th, 2010 @ 8:13 am

Theme is really nice and this is really a cool theme. thanks for it

91. Sergio Mendoza
    January 13th, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

hello!
    i downloaded your theme and i find it very intresting to use, but i have a problem with a little thing:

i want to use a plugin: KnxDT Bookmarks
    i installed it and it’s not working because i need to paste a code line on the singl.php file.. which you don’t have.

any idea on how to do it? i can’t figure out (i’m no expert though..) where on the phps are the posts..

hope you can help! thanks!
    sergio

92. Fireplace poker guy
    January 26th, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

Another question? Do you think its good practice to wait a while before updating your wordpress version?? I have sometimes had the problem that when updating wordpress it can render a plugin useless?

93. Alin Chiriac
    February 10th, 2010 @ 4:18 am

Hi,
    Great theme but the problem with the sidebars still exists. When I click a post I see that sidebars still go to the bottom of the posts. This happens in firefox 3.6 with the latest version of wordpress. I replaced all the files I personalised with your original ones and still the problem. Can you reccomend me something?

94. Mike
    February 24th, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

Hi,

Love the theme. Read thru all the posts here, and didn’t see my question. I have some pictures that are not being bounded by the main column, they are bleeding into the left sidebar. How do I limit that, is in in the theme or in WordPress in general?

I also have the calendar scrunching issue mentioned by another user above. Any ideas?

Thanks

95. Drew Stauffer
    February 26th, 2010 @ 9:08 am

@ Mike,

My suggestion would be to size the images before you put them into your posts so you don’t have to worry about them creeping into the sidebar areas.

Also, elements that are too big for columns can cause the layout to break in other browsers.

96. ron
    April 2nd, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

hey drew:

i would like to change the homepage view of posts as summary views or simply limit the number of full posts that appear on the homepage.

suggestions?

thanks in advance…

97. Phil
    April 9th, 2010 @ 10:15 am

I added a few plug ins and suddenly I got this message in my manage plugin panel:
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7680 bytes) in /home1/stockto3/public_html/wp-includes/kses.php(413) : runtime-created function on line 1

I can’t even see my plugins now when I click on “plugins” in order to deactivate and delete what might be incompatible plugins and frankly I’m scared!I can’t get to “installed” or “editor” either.

What do you suggest? Should I go into my files via wp-content and delete files that might be bad? Most plugins were cool, but I think it went bad when I added and activated
    wp-e-commerce.3.7.6

Help please….

98. Bill
    April 9th, 2010 @ 7:41 pm

Help!

I love the template , but I just checked and realized that my Feed doesn’t work (shouldn’t it be showing all my posts?)

and the Archives don’t seem to work either.

Novice here, can you help with some clear, specific advice?

thanks

99. Venkat
    April 9th, 2010 @ 10:57 pm

just downloaded your seo widget and hope it works good on my blog as well.ill be looking for some more widgets/plugins from your site .Blogger tutorials

100. topbloggingsoftware
    April 28th, 2010 @ 7:17 am

A good theme can go a long way to help you blogs seo. Along with keywords and keeping on topic in your post. Thanks for the info good work.

101. robint
    May 11th, 2010 @ 9:03 am

Is it possible to hide the “Category/Tags” box..

102. Victoria Young
    May 14th, 2010 @ 12:46 am

I use both Adsense and Adbrite and i can say that adbrite is also a good source of income but not as good as adsense.”.,

103. Maria Marsala Business Maven
    May 23rd, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

Well, I had a problem with a widget == the RSS feed. I couldn’t get it off the page.

So I went into the code (where I forget? right side bar maybe) and rmeoved it there.

But didn’t realize that it would stop my RSS feed to work.

HELP — how do I put back the code so my RSS feed works again?