Elements of SEO

a classic wordpress theme focused on typography and design

Theme Update

Posted on | July 30, 2008 | 45 Comments

Now that Elements of SEO has been out in the wild for a little while I have been able to see how others have used it. One thing that I immediately noticed was when people implemented various widgets; a bullet would appear next to the heading.

I didn’t like how that looked so I decided to get rid of it. Now you can add as many widgets as you like and they will always look just like this demo site.

When I submitted this theme to the Wordpress Directory I had to add a few more features that would comply with the WP 2.5 standards. Here they are:

• Gravatar support
  • Tag support
  • Alignment classes: .alignright, .alignleft, .aligncenter
  • Caption attributes to add captions directly under your photos (WP 2.6)

Download Elements of SEO 1.2 to get the new features and fix the widget heading bug.

Comments

45 Responses to “Theme Update”

1. Drew Stauffer
    July 30th, 2008 @ 2:49 pm

See how the gravatar works

2. james
    August 20th, 2008 @ 7:44 am

Hi, I really like this theme, thanks for putting it out there.

How do I change the subhead in the masthead where it says “James”?

I’d either like it to be blank or put in a tagline.

Thanks!

3. Drew Stauffer
    August 20th, 2008 @ 9:45 am

@ james

Thanks for using my theme :)

You can alter the space where it says “james” in your dashboard when you login.

Go to Settings > General

The box labeled Tagline is the one you’ll want to change. It should say james at the moment, but you can change it to what ever you like.

That should do it.

4. Dave
    August 25th, 2008 @ 9:21 am

Good style. Added links on my site

5. Guido
    August 26th, 2008 @ 11:41 am

Doh, all the < and > tags disappeared…

6. Guido
    August 26th, 2008 @ 11:43 am

Thanks a lot for this wonderful theme :) I adapted it a bit for my blog, exchanging the header and making some more small changes, I hope you don’t mind (I kept a link here for credit though).

I’m afraid though that the “bullet fix” you made broke XHTML compatibility for custom widgets: Since those are in <li> tags, having no <ul> (or similar) around them makes the code incompatible with the XHTML spec.

I guess the solution would be to make the <ul> a special style only used there and change that list’s items in the CSS, I’ll do that in the next 1-2 days for my blog and let you know afterwards.

7. marcus
    August 26th, 2008 @ 7:32 pm

Thanks for a great theme. I love the clean layout and neat functions.
    A small edit was necessary for my personal needs though, a translation into Swedish.

Keep up the good work! :)

8. Tom Johnson
    August 27th, 2008 @ 2:07 am

I love this theme, but I ran into several problems:

1. My sidebar titles in IE are indented about 10 pixels, but not in Firefox. I’m not sure how to fix that.

2. When I click the Comments link to type a comment, the sidebar titles scrunch up a bit and there’s not the same padding/margins as the other views. No idea why.

3. The text labels in the Leave a Reply section when leaving comments differs between IE and Firefox. In IE, the labels are tiny and italicized, but not so in Firefox.

Finally, your online submission/contact form didn’t work for me in your theme. I know that’s a plugin, but I thought I’d let you know anyway.

My site is at http://readscripturestogether.com. If you can tell me how to correct the problems I noted, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks again for the great theme.

Tom

9. Drew Stauffer
    August 27th, 2008 @ 10:10 am

@ marcus

Thanks man, I appreciate the props.

@ Tom

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Let me look into it.

10. Tom Johnson
    August 27th, 2008 @ 10:15 am

Never mind about #2 — I had an incorrectly placed div tag in the comments.php file. Here’s how I fixed it. At the end of comments.php, add div tags as follows (I used square brackets in my comments here to avoid code issues.)

[?php endif; // If registration required and not logged in ?]

[/div]
    [?php endif; // if you delete this the sky will fall on your head ?]

[/div]

I’ve found that without the div tags there, with short posts, the sidebars wrap underneath the main content area when viewing a comment.

11. Egor
    August 27th, 2008 @ 2:55 pm

Hello I was browsing Internet searching for What Is Seo and your blog regarding pdate | Elements of SEO came my way. Very interesting! You really do know your thing! I\’m gonna bookmark you and come back in a few to see your new posting! Looking forward to! Cheers!

12. Tom Johnson
    August 27th, 2008 @ 8:00 pm

Another question I have is how to add a Next and Previous link in this theme, so that when you’re viewing a single post, you see a Next and Previous link somewhere to go to the next one. I tried adding the wp tags for this, but they never seem to align right — they end up on top of the sidebar, or in other places. Can you tell me how I add Next and Previous links?

13. Tom Johnson
    August 27th, 2008 @ 10:22 pm

Thanks for fixing those sidebar widget titles! Looks great now. Also, don’t worry about that last question I asked re the previous and next links. I ended up fitting them into the .bt class style and extending the padding/margins a bit there. Once again, thanks for coding such a cool theme.

14. Brad Wilson
    September 28th, 2008 @ 9:06 pm

Hi,

Really like your theme. While testing, I’ve selected the About page as parent for a couple of new pages. The pages are listed in Manage Pages as — testpage2, — testpage3, but I can’t find them any other way. No links to them anywhere. I’m new to Wordpress: could you let me know how this is supposed to work?

Thanks very much,

Brad Wilson

15. Drew Stauffer
    October 2nd, 2008 @ 8:19 am

@ Brad

Are you wanting the new pages to show up like a drop down under the About page listing?

Not sure how easily that would happen with this theme without some CSS adjustments.

You could always look in the dashboard to find out what the link to those pages will be and then add them to a sidebar section.

Let me know if you’re wanting to do something else.

16. cahyo
    October 21st, 2008 @ 12:30 am

thanks for a great theme, and i try use it for my blog.

17. Frank Tirelli
    October 23rd, 2008 @ 8:11 pm

Drew I reviewed many themes and yours was the cleanest and most visually appealing.

I want to change some colors e.g. of my blog name..sure this is easy, but I am a newbie…any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks..f

18. Yuvensius Reginald
    November 1st, 2008 @ 8:26 am

Hi, OMG glad i found this theme ! i love it so much, so simple and smooth. Anyway i really want to discuss this with my friend but oh well, let’s just ask the author. Whenever i upload and put a picture inside my post and make it centered aligned it always shows up left aligned. How is this possible to work in centered ? my website is http://www.vsp-m.com that is an Indonesian Website, im sorry but you can see the theme though…

Please if you have time, mail me back for the results….i really love this theme so badly, 3 months looking for the best theme and i finally found it.

Thanks Friend ^^

19. Drew Stauffer
    November 3rd, 2008 @ 4:38 pm

@Frank Tirelli

Changing any colors is going to be pretty easy. Click on the Design tab in your dashboard…go to the theme editor for the Elements theme.

Look for the styles.css file on the right. Click it so that you can see it in the window.

Find the style you want to change and alter the color.

20. Drew Stauffer
    November 3rd, 2008 @ 4:40 pm

@Yuvensius Reginald

When you add an image you should be able to assign a class to it. Assign it where ever you want the image to show up…left, center, right and it should work.

21. Ryan Barnes
    December 11th, 2008 @ 3:23 am

Hi Drew,

I picked your theme out of 100 other comers, have been sticking with it. I’m looking to incorporate a portion of the “white space” within the header area and around the sides.

I am a throwback to the old html school, and have been learning 2.0 protocols in a trial by fire. How hard would it be to add some hlinks and such, graphics, etc. in a portion of the header. How disastrous would it be to expand the page margins or otherwise incorporate some of the side space? I’m looking to keep it classy and clean, but I do want to utilize about 20% of the “free space”.

Full Bow Tip of the Hat to ya’ for writing a great theme.

Cheers,

Ryan Barnes

22. Drew Stauffer
    December 11th, 2008 @ 9:23 am

@ Ryan Barnes

You can certainly add the space you are referring too, but it could easily get messy. You’ll have to make sure that you monitor and adjust ALL the widths in the theme.

I personally just make my browser window larger to make as much white space as I want for the sides…that’s the way the site was designed. But i have heard from some people that they never adjust their browser window. So not sure what to tell you about that.

Maybe make a copy before you change a bunch of stuff just in case you have to revert.

23. Webmaster
    January 15th, 2009 @ 11:12 pm

Hi, Thanks for the update.
    I’m gonna update it now.
    But, I wonder, is there anything that can be patched or I do I have to upload all the files again? I’ll loose all the custom edits I have done in the templates. :(

24. Chantal
    January 17th, 2009 @ 10:14 am

Thanks for the theme. Changed it around a bit to suit my own needs. (just some width and color issues) Thanks again

25. Help Newbie
    February 5th, 2009 @ 1:38 pm

hi there.. do you think you can make an adjustment by placing an option to post a banner (width = 100%) instead of the blog name? that wud make it look more better

26. Kevin John SEO Lewis
    February 22nd, 2009 @ 4:17 pm

Finally I’ve founf pretty much teh exact theme I was looking for – thank you!

I’m going to mess about slightly with colours & so on, but it’s pretty much exactly what I was looking for, for a specific project,

Thank you!

Kev
    Finally I’ve founf pretty much teh exact theme I was looking for – thank you!

Thank you!

Kev

27. Newbie Lauren
    April 27th, 2009 @ 9:46 pm

Hi Drew,

Love the theme, it took us forever to find the right one and this one was absolutely perfect. I just want to change the banner image and I am having some trouble accomplishing this. I created a custom banner, same size as the current one, and uploaded it into the theme files, but nothing shows up. As stated above, I am a newbie and I am probably going about this completely wrong. If you could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

28. Drew Stauffer
    April 28th, 2009 @ 11:57 am

@Lauren

When you upload the new image, you’ll want to make sure you name it the same as the old banners.

I believe you’ll want to name them:
    banner.jpg
    banner1.jpg
    banner2.jpg

Each banner appears on different pages so make sure your changing the name of the right one you want to edit.

You can always look in the theme folder in images to see which each one looks like.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

29. Kathy Nielsen
    May 9th, 2009 @ 12:07 pm

Hi, Drew.

First and foremost, I love this theme. Thank you for making it available.

Now I have a really dumb question. Where do I change the content in the “about” section? I’ve been searching and searching for an answer. My guess is that it’s something simple and I just am missing it.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

30. Drew Stauffer
    May 11th, 2009 @ 8:03 am

@Kathy,

The content for the “about” section is hard coded onto the page. In order for you to edit it you’ll need to open r_sidebar.php, that;s in the theme folder.

In that file you will see the generic text which you can change to what ever you like.

You can either edit this file through the dashboard…just like how you would make edits to the theme.

or

You can open up the file in any text editor like notepad or text edit, change the text and then upload the file again to your server.

Hope that helps.

31. Kathy Nielsen
    May 14th, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

Thanks, Drew. I made the change to the “about” section given how easy you made the directions. Now off to see if I can change the images in the banner. Wish me luck! (smile).

Kathy

32. Kathy Nielsen
    May 15th, 2009 @ 8:16 am

Hi, Drew. Me again. I created a new banner image, named it banner5.jpg and uploaded it to the image directory. I then went to the style sheet and replaced with: #banner1 ( background: url(”images/banner5.jpg”) I did that for for all three banners.

All I did was manage to erase the banner altogether. I’ve confirmed that I have the image saved as a .jpg and not .jpeg. I’m obviously doing something wrong. My site is atlantahomestagerinfo.com. Can you take a look and see if you see anything that is out of line?

Thanks!

Kathy

33. Daniel
    May 22nd, 2009 @ 3:35 am

Is it compatible with wordpress 2.7?

Is it possible to have a left and right sidebar with the content in the middle?

34. Drew Stauffer
    May 26th, 2009 @ 8:05 am

@ Daniel

Yes, the theme is compatible with WP 2.7.

As for the content being in the middle…that would take some recoding of the theme. Others have tried with minimal success, but I personally have not tried it. No quick solution.

35. Afe
    July 12th, 2009 @ 11:22 am

great theme! I like it.

36. Mmo
    August 9th, 2009 @ 6:36 pm

Wait. Is this theme Unique or is it a free one? It’s really elegant and nice.

37. Ecommerece
    August 9th, 2009 @ 11:55 pm

I really like your theme. Thanks for sharing your information with us.

38. Drew Stauffer
    August 10th, 2009 @ 8:07 am

@Mmo

Yes, this theme is available for free to use.

You can download it over here:

39. teman
    August 29th, 2009 @ 7:46 pm

Thank you for great theme WP here. I just now about to publish my WP using element of SEO. This`s very nice.

I have some request. I’m now using 3 column theme but soon will publish. Currently the theme is 3 column with left bar is on the left side (float left) and also right bar is on the right side (float right). That’s mean posting would be center position.

So, when I’ve download this theme, I’m try to edit css coding on WP.Because I’m newbie, i had try often and the result is not like as i wish. They not work properly.

I’m requesting to you to be my mentor to edit right bar to float right, and posting position will become center.

The hopper,
    Teman

40. Drew Stauffer
    September 4th, 2009 @ 7:52 am

@teman

Unfortunately I’m not really offering major updates to this theme. I can help with minor issues.

Positioning the content in the center is kind of a major deal. Many people have asked about it and tried it themselves and to the best of my knowledge no one has done it yet (that I know of).

Sorry :(

41. Utah Web Designer
    September 10th, 2009 @ 2:26 pm

oh well there’s bound to be kinks in this kind of stuff for a while after you put it out there… no way you can catch and deal with it all yourself on the first go

42. zeesu
    September 16th, 2009 @ 12:42 pm

the images in theme dont centre align.I tried so much but still doesn’t work.can u help me in this

43. ana
    November 12th, 2009 @ 2:57 am

I am new at this and still learning and your template is a wonderful beautiful and hopefully I will do a good job and help a lot of people.
    Thank you so much.
    I feel very stupid and I bet it is easy but I could not find out how to edit the about in the template?
    well back to reading and thank you so much once again

44. Neil
    December 14th, 2009 @ 11:37 pm

Hi Drew,
    I want to add the alt tag to the three banners in the header, where would i do this, in the CSS or php files and where do i add it.

Cheers
    Neil

45. Mike
    February 18th, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

I know that your probably a busy person, but are you planning to correct all of the validation errors with this theme in the future?